Peggy Seeger 'Be an Engineer'
This week is the week Christians remember Mary, mother to Jesus. Some get rather pious and paint her as some angelical demi-god, others barely remember her. The reality is - like so many women in the world - she had a situation thrust upon her and and made the best of it.
Whatever one's view of Mary, no-one should forget the real role women play in society. From being involved in 70% of the world's agricultural practices, to baring the brunt of the cuts in the UK - the silent majority are neglected to only be seen as part-time cooks, cleaners and rearers!
So this sunday - light a candle and remember Mary.... then remember
- All the women who 'suffer in silence' because of abuse in the home
- All the women who are forced to change their life plans because of unplanned pregnancies
- All the women left to carry the financial can when men desert them
- All the women who take on menial or degrading jobs to pay the bills
- All the women who fought to ensure women had the vote
- All the women chain-makers who fought for workers rights
- All the women in high-office, demonstrating that gender has no baring on ability to do a job
Then finish by remembering:
Nov 2nd marks the day (according to the Fawcett society) that women stop earning. Although the UK has had the equal pay act for 40 years, there is a living pay gap of around 16.4%.
(For quality feminist writing I cannot help but recommend - The F Word - blog and accompanying book)
Take Care Y'All