Sunday, January 07, 2007

Covenant Sunday

This Sunday is one of my favourite Sundays of the year. It is the time that we, as Methodists, renew our relationship with God through the recital of the covenant prayer. What excites me so much about it is the sense of bewilderment about the prayer - it reminds me of the act of trust that is faith. For through this prayer we are asking to be moulded and used by an entity that I can never prove exists, yet I believe does. Therefore it is a part willing submission, yet it is also a blank canvas. It clearly states that throughout the year use me to do your will (bringing of Gods Kingdom) which is a most exciting prospect and a nice way to reground myself in my thoughts, reflections and work as 2007 starts to get into full swing. The text of the prayer has evolved over time and I reproduce the modern version because it is more sensual and reflective. The older version (also in the most recent Worship Book) I feel doesn't quiet capture this, instead reading (to me) as a tiny bit more "give itall up to God and he'll sort everything out without me even having to lift a finger" which does rather jar with my personal theology. Even so, what is interesting about them all is the lack of conclusivly binding theological statements of belief within it, bar the mention of the trinity at the end, instead it is a way of connecting with the other and adding no caveats to it. Therefore if you have little or no belief or have a all embracing,encompassing, solid as a rock belief it doesn't matter and that within itself is something to be celebrated.Ultimately , whatever words are used, it is also the act itself that I also find exciting and thrilling so wherever you are I hope you have had the service you want to reground yourself in all this God stuff, ready to face 2007! Take Care Y'All John
The Covenant Prayer "I am no longer my own but yours. Your will, not mine, be done in all things, wherever you may place me, in all that I do and in all that I may endure; when there is work for me and when there is none; when I am troubled and when I am at peace. Your will be done when I am valued and when I am disregarded; when I find fulfilment and when it is lacking; when I have all things, and when I have nothing. I willingly offer All I have and am To serve you, as and where you choose. Glorious and blessed God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, You are mine and I am yours. May it be so for ever. Let this covenant now made on earth Be fulfilled in heaven. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:52 am

    I wholeheartedly agree that the modern version is more accessible and impactful and relevant.

    ReplyDelete