Thursday, December 07, 2006

Jonny Did The Missionary Position

Tonight has been an interesting night. As a student union we were given a large quantity (ie a thousand) condoms that were needing distributed. They were given with the idea that we hand them out. The univeristy runs a weekly club night, entitled Half Time, that attracts around 400+ people therefore could be seen as a place willing to distribute them. That said I had a small quam about this. I don't belive sexual promiscuity is right (ie sleeping around) and I also don't think it should be encouraged. Half Time is a drunken night out and is often the starting point for many peoples (first) sexual leasons. Therefore a challenge, for me as a person on the union, I could go and hand out the condoms and ensure that everyone had a safe time. That said by handing out condoms at a drunken event (though I wasn't drinking tonight so the folks handing out wern't drunk) then are we (as a union) condoning druken sex? Well this conundrum was never quiet going to be solved really. That said the image is the front page of the leaflet which I felt was a nice half way house between my own personal morals and what we, as a union should be doing. By that i mean that I cannot ignore the needs of others, druken sex between a couple and drunken sex between strangers happens. The much greater risk is ignorance, unconsensual sex and sexual transmitted infections and we are combatting that by passing out information (STOP : THINK : ENJOY) with the condoms. *Note over a thousand condoms were handed out to around 500 people in twenty minutes!* I wasn't going to blog about this but I just thought it was a nice re-awakening of the battle of mission and quiet what it means. For alot of mission is just about our own personal comfort zones (eg giving money) and yet rarely does one go out and actualy face the problems we talk about (eg homelessness) face to face. Whilst this doesn't devalue anyone as a christian (cause who am I to judge.. I could be on a complete loosing track with my own outlook)it does devalue collective action. Sometimes we do need to go beyond and then find within ourselves inner strength. As an example of this I thought I'd flag up the work done in Manchester, where they now run a Night Angles scheme aiding clubbers return home after a night out. This service will be invaluable yet the pragmatic may have at first raised questions about the personal safety of the angles and other such issues. Yet sometimes people like myself can be too pragmatic and not trust enough in others and also what good can come out of it... and lets face it after a night out how many of us have neaded a hand after a few too many ? Take Care Y'All John

1 comment:

  1. As always, intresting points John.

    I was particuarly amused by your final comment -- " lets face it after a night out how many of us have neaded a hand after a few too many ?"

    Certainly you my friend... Lol.

    ReplyDelete