Saturday, February 11, 2006

First Among Muppets?

I am remarkably lucky at the moment. I had, plop through my door, the balott papers that would enable me to choose the leader of the lib dems. Well, obviously, the rest of the membership (another 74,000 people) may choose to disagree with me but I will have definatly influenced the result. As part of the ballot pack was an "election statement" booklet. These are manifestos, of a sort, and they are produced as an outline and guide to my thoughts when casting my vote. I haven't voted yet and thought I would indulge you all in giving you a "digested" leadership manifesto from each. Incase you don't know what I am going on about, this is a rip-off of a Guardian concept of producing a summation of a book in 300 words and also one sentance. I am going half-way and doing a few (summation) sentances on each.... - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Menzies "Ming" Campbell
You should vote for me because I am a safe set of hands. I am not stating my own political view so shall claim to lead from the centre of British politics, rather than from a left or right perspective. I have a large group of "names" in the party supporting me so why aren't you?
Simon Hughes
You should vote for me because I am controlled radicalism. I am deciding the party should stroll in from the left. I have done everything (within politics) so know all levels and have the experience and passion to have authority in radicalism.. I have also produced a "everyone else can't win this" bar chart, ala a Focus leaflet, to show I am the real winner to back.
Chris Huhne
I am clean, newboy with a new style of doing things. I come from an economic background, but don't get put off as I also have ideas on our place in the world, poverty, environmentalism and federalism. Don't forget though, I have the background experience (in europe) which means I can be a considered and trustworthy breath of fresh air in British Politics (unlike a certain other new leader?).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - I think I have around a week left to make up my mind and would of course welcome any comments or discourse on who to choose. I am in a quandry and so may the fighting over my vote begin! Take Care Y'All John

3 comments:

  1. Well I think I'm going for 1) Huhne, 2) Campbell, 3) Hughes.
    But, being a girl (and myself generally) I can't cope with the thought of how each of them would feel to lose. SO upset! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard simon hughes on that marr on sunday type programme and he spoke really well. I liked what he had to say.

    Though, as the tories will point out, he is a lier, because he hesitated on the issue of his sexuality, something that needn't be a problem in todays more liberal and excepting world. Just look at how sensitively the sun newspaper dealt with the news (!)

    Of course if you vote campbell then you run the risk of Ming challenging Gordon at the next election, and we all know that Flash (aaaaahhhhh) is the saviour of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Labour Party member I never thought of that ;), but don't let such a thing stop you from voting for Campbell if you feel so inclined. After all, policies more than image eh ;)
    Nice to know that the Lib Dems are still polishing up their bar charts :)

    ReplyDelete